Friday, May 21, 2010

Childhood Obesity

Yesterday we had a very interesting discussion with Angela Glover Blackwell, CEO of Policylink , Matthew Green of Ingredients for Change, and Michelle Bouchard President of HealthCorps. What an invaluable discussion. Childhood Obesity is very high in the African American Community. I live in East New York Brooklyn and its very hard to find healthy food when you want to eat out. What is there to choose from ? Chinese, McDonalds..etc. The Chinese Restaurants around my way do  not even sell steamed vegetable dumplings..I love those.

Angela Glover Blackwell is phenomenal. Policylink is working hard to ensure that individuals in low income areas have acceess to healthy foods. This is crucial.

I grew up in Bayside Queens (yeah Bayside) there is a huge variety of restaurants to choose from, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Mexican. Very diverse...lol and I love all of them equally. I miss the restaurants in Bayside. especially the wonderful Chinese Restaurant on 48th. They have the BEST Sesame Chicken that I have ever tasted. Okay I dont think this discussion was supposed to be about my undying love for food.

This is about healthy choices. I was so impressed with HealthCorps. They work within the high schools and encourage students to make healthy choices regarding diet and exercise. Thats a very important time to encourage healthy eating habits. I remember when I was in high school,. I worked at Burger King and literally ate my weekly paycheck. I would fill an entire tray with french fries. EWWWWWWWW.

No comments:

Post a Comment